The Department of Public Safety has launched an app that puts safety in the hands of Humber students, faculty and staff.
With just one touch, the Humber Guardian App provides quick access to campus safety, emergency contacts, support resources and transit information.
Protection and Security Investigation student Taras Yurechko, 20, downloaded the app Feb. 24 and said he’s finding the App very useful.
“The app looks pretty good to me, ” said Yureckho. He added that he finds the emergency feature of the app very helpful.
Bachelor of Nursing Student Danielle Gibbs, 24, said she downloaded the app on Feb. 20, but she isn’t very pleased with the transit information presented.
“I am most disappointed in the transit feature. All it does is link me to the Brampton call Centre. Google does better than linking me,” said Gibbs.
The app was released on Feb. 19 for Apple, Android and Blackberry Smartphones.
According to humber.ca Guardian primary features include:
• One touch calling to Humber Security & Emergency Services
• A personal emergency alarm
• Quick-access flashlight
• Ability to email questions, comments & photos to Public Safety
• Campus maps and searchable navigation
• Access to Public Transit contact and route information servicing Humber College
• Overviews and contact information for Humber’s student support resources provided by Humber Student Federation, Counseling, and Disability Services
• Contact information for off-campus support resources including the Toronto Distress Centre, Crime Stoppers, and the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
• Access to and contact information for Humber’s safety programs and services
• Emergency Preparedness guides
• Ability to receive emergency alert notifications